- Purdue University Global - Associate's, Bachelor's, and Master's in Criminal Justice
- Utica College - Online BS in Criminal Justice
- Saint Joseph's University - Online Master of Science in Criminal Justice
Everyone has something to protect, and many organizations are in need of qualified security management professionals to defend against threats around the clock. With an online degree in security management, you’ll be prepared to oversee the protection and security of assets for organizations small and large.
Online Degrees in Security Management
Most online degrees in security management are offered as a specialization in criminal justice degrees, and some criminal justice majors are broad enough to include security management curriculum. Standalone security management degrees are also available within some criminal justice education departments. Good security management degrees typically include coursework in accounting, private security issues, disaster management and emergency management.
Careers in Security Management
A career in security management is a great opportunity for a promising future protecting the assets of organizations worldwide. The Bureau of Labor Statistics indicates that opportunities for employment in the security management field are growing, and that this pattern will continue through at least 2022. The pay is great, too: Salary.com reports a $84,385 median annual pay for security managers, with some reaching salaries of $110,712 or higher.
Common career paths in security management include security guards, corrections officers, police officers and federal law enforcement officers. Positions may be at the local, state and federal level. With a degree in the field, security managers may also have the opportunity to earn promotions to higher-level security management positions.
Security managers often work for:
- Investigation, guard, and armored car services
- Educational services; state, local, and private
- Health care and social assistance
- Accommodation and food services
Security Management Degree Curriculum
The curriculum for online degrees in security management concentrates on addressing and managing the myriad private, industrial and public security issues faced by organizations today and in the future. This includes round-the-clock security, emergency responses and rapid identification of security threats.
Students in an online security management degree program may take courses covering the following areas:
- Homeland Security Overview: This course provides a comprehensive overview of homeland security and defense since 9/11. The class discusses how to understand, examine and handle security threats along with the roles of the key players at the local, state and federal levels.
- Managing Criminal Justice Organizations: This class discusses organizational structure, leadership and management styles, and managing change within the organization.
- Introduction to Security: Students receive a basic overview of security operations and functions, intelligence gathering, and security in business and industrial centers.
Learn About Security Management
Launch your career in security management. Request information to learn more about online degrees in security management.