- Purdue University Global - Associate's, Bachelor's, and Master's in Criminal Justice
- Utica College - Online BS in Criminal Justice
- Saint Joseph's University - Online Master of Science in Criminal Justice
Law enforcement professionals work at the federal, state, and local levels to enforce laws and protect citizens with public safety. An online degree in law enforcement will teach you about important procedures, issues, and principles in law enforcement and community relations.
Online Law Enforcement Degrees
Students have a variety of online law enforcement degree options, with programs ranging from certificates to master’s degrees. Law enforcement degrees are generally earned as part of a criminal justice degree program, and may also be listed as police studies degrees or law enforcement administration degrees. This degree program prepares students to apply forensic and other evidence to law enforcement, to understand the ethical issues in law enforcement, and to gain perspective on policing and community relations.
Law Enforcement Careers
The career path for graduates with a law enforcement degree is clear: most will pursue careers in law enforcement at the local, state, or federal level. Opportunities are available with city and county police forces, state law enforcement agencies, and federal organizations including the FBI, DEA and U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement. Job titles in law enforcement include:
- Police officer
- Drug enforcement officer
- Customs agent
- FBI agent
- Sheriff’s deputy
The job outlook and pay for law enforcement professional is good. Police and detectives, for example, benefit from a stable job outlook and above average pay. Job opportunities in this field are expected to grow through 2022, and median pay for police and detectives is $56,980. Officers in specialized fields of law enforcement may earn more: detectives and criminal investigators typically earn about $74,300.
Law Enforcement Degree Curriculum
The curriculum for an online law enforcement degree is designed to develop the skills and knowledge needed to effectively enforce laws while protecting and serving the public. Courses in an online law enforcement degree may include:
- Criminology: The principles and theories of criminal behavior and the causes of crime are the focus here. The coursework also deals with the impact of the crime on the victim and society.
- Ethics, Justice and Social Control: This course deals with the theory and application of ethics to the criminal justice field in areas such as law enforcement, corrections and the courts.
- Criminal Behavior, Profiling Violent Offenders: Here, students examine the motivations behind crimes such as stalking, arson, murder and sexual assault. Students also analyze behavioral patterns and psychological profiles.
- Statistics in Criminal Justice: In this session, students learn how to interpret research data about criminal justice issues using statistical analysis and other tools of the trade.
- Criminal Investigations: Students in this course examine the various techniques and methods used to conduct effective criminal investigations.
Start Your Career in Law Enforcement
Get started as a law enforcement officer with an online law enforcement degree. In our program directory, you’ll learn about online law enforcement degree programs available from top accredited online schools.